What is Couples Counseling?
Couples counseling is an extensive part of our practice at Family Therapy Associates. Whether you have been together for a long time, or are in a fairly new relationship, whether you are married, unmarried , recently engaged or considering a second marriage, heterosexual or LBGTQ, we will help you find solutions to the problems you are facing in your relationship and develop your strengths and resources as a couple.
Although occasionally therapy can be long term, couples often find solutions to their problems in a few sessions.
How can Couples Counseling be helpful to you?
Many of the couples we see report that all aspects of their lives are more fulfilling once they have addressed their style of communication, resolve conflicts, and deal with resentment and anger issues.
- Are you having problems communicating?
- Are you having sexual or intimacy problems?
- Are responsibilities for financial or household needs unbalanced?
- Are you having issues involving extended family members?
- Are you a young couple trying to establish your autonomy from extended family?
- Are you remarrying and trying to blend two families?
- Is there a loss of respect and trust?
- Are there infidelity concerns?
- Are there issues of control?
- Is there verbal or physical abuse?
- Are cultural differences creating problems?
When both partners are committed to the relationship, couples counseling is an effective way to move toward a happier future. Sometimes, when one partner wishes to hold onto the relationship and the other has doubts about compatibility, we find that individual therapy can be helpful. Change in only one partner often results in changes in the relationship.
When work, family and personal needs become unbalanced and friends and family are too close to the situation to be objective, we can help.
“In love the paradox occurs that two beings become one
and yet remain two.”
– Erich Fromm